Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day

Thank you to all our troops, both past and present, home and overseas, living and passed on. We thank you for allowing us to live in this free country where we can speak our minds, elect our government, and live as we please. You are the true heroes of today, sacrificing yourself, your time, and your families to fight for the right. Thank you!

In honor of memorial day, I decided I wanted to continue a tradition my parents started with me. We visit a local cemetery. Growing up we didn't have family graves nearby but we would go and leave flowers or flags on the graves of veterans. Here in Logan though we have some ancestors graves to visit. They didn't fight in any wars, but I think today is a good day to remember our families who have passed on as well. The morning started with the girls and I taking a trip to the Smithfield cemetery to visit some Greene's.
While we were at the cemetery I took the chance to show the Princess' all the graves with flags. We talked about how those men and women fought in wars so we could live in such a wonderful world. Princess V really liked the flags. I have to say I was very impressed with the amount of people at the cemetery. It pleases me to know that the holiday is still celebrated and not just used as a vacation day.

After our little trip we went to the park to get some sun and exercise. The Princess' loved it, and Princess R just kept on sleeping. We got home around lunch time so we had some popcorn chicken. After lunch we wrote some letters to our present day heroes - Great Grandpa, Grandpa, and Uncle Billy. Great Grandpa and Grandpa flew planes in the air force and Uncle Billy is currently serving this great nation. We thank you and Love you all! (If you're reading this, your letters will be in the mail tomorrow).

Once we got done letter writing we made some sugar cookies for our barbeque. The Princess' love helping me cook! Princess C got put in charge of mixing the dry stuff. "Look at me! I stirring!" She is so cute! Princess V helped me with the wet stuff. She has gotten very good at cracking eggs. She did it all by herself and not one piece of shell fell in! I was very proud of her. They both then helped me roll the dough into balls. Princess C had fun poking holes into them, and Princess V would then reroll them. Ahh, the simple joys of childhood.
This evening we had some friends and family over for a barbeque. Daddy made some steaks and hot dogs on the grill. And we just had an all around fun time eating and talking. Our wonderful day has ended with Princess V and C watching 101 Dalmations and Princess R filling a diaper (she suffers a little constipation, poor girl!).
We hope you have all also enjoyed your Memorial Day and hope that you've taken a moment to remember our troops.

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like a perfect day. Grandpa will be looking forward to getting a letter! Thank you for remembering him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to teach about OUR heros. I want our kids to know how important and what Memorial Day means! Thank you for the great idea! And Uncle Billy will love the letter....he doesn't get many.

    ReplyDelete