Monday, November 15, 2010

Letter A

We're going to start doing a letter a week.  Each days activities will somehow incorporate that week's letter.  This week is A.  Today we just did an introduction.  We looked at a capital A and small A, then practiced writing them.  Here's Princess V's work.
Princess C and I worked on the chalkboard, with me guiding her hand.  I then wrote a bunch of different words on the chalkboard, and had the girls find and underline both the big and little A's.  Last we ended with a little Apple math.  The look of "AH HA" on Princess V's face when we did this was so warming to me as a parent.  I drew 3 apples on the board.  Princess C helped me count them.  Then I drew a + and one more apple.  I asked Princess V how many Apples we had now...answer 4 ("Hey that's just like me!").  Then I showed Princess V how it looks in number form.  We added one more to 5 just for fun.  Princess C was with us, but she likes to do her own thing, so I'm not sure how much she got out of it.  

This is my tentative plan for the week - 
Tuesday - Aerobics
Wednesday - Science: Air
Thursday - Music: Accordion and Alto Saxophone
Friday - History
Saturday - Airplanes with a trip to Hill Air Force Base museum

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  I'm not really sure what we'll be doing friday, possibly some history lesson, maybe something else.

2 comments:

  1. You are doing great! Don't be afraid to go back and do the same thing again in a different way. Make the letters with glue and glitter, draw them in shaving cream (or whipped cream) on the table, "finger paint" with pudding in the tub, draw them in the sand at the park...lots of fun ways to practice their letters. Studies show that an idea, word or concept needs to be introduced 32 times to a 5 year old before it becomes part of their permanent memory. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome idea Kristin! Thanks, I think we'll draw the letters a new way each day!!

    ReplyDelete