Thursday, July 28, 2011

Welcome to Week 49 of Toddler Talk Thursday! Where Family and Life in Las Vegas, Crazy about my Baybah, and My Life as a Sippy Cup Mom talk all things TODDLER!!
** If you want to follow this on twitter – or plan on tweeting your post – please use hashtag: #letstalktoddler **
 
This week’s featured Blog is: Happenings of the Harper Household who suggested
This Week’s Topic:
How do you keep your toddler entertained in difficult situations – grocery store, doctors office, etc?
 
The only real place we frequently go that I need something extra for entertaining, is church and grocery shopping. For church we always bring some crayons, or colored pencils, and notepads, snacks, a bottle, and random toys (usually the ones from fast food kid meals). Also since Daddy is with us at church, if we really need it one of the girls will get to play games on his itouch.  We've got some fun preschool/toddler games, like matching, shape games, etc. 
 
Grocery shopping, I'm usually on my own, so I don't have the itouch with me.  If I know we're going to be there for awhile, I let the Princess' pick a toy to hold. Then they can play with it while in the cart, but when we get to checkout, I just let the cashier know we are not buying it. Writing it up it sounds like I'm taking advantage of the store, but it's not like that really. The toys don't get dirty, or harshly played with. Mostly they just hold them. 
For Princess V and Princess C I try to have them walk by the cart. It helps them get some energy out, and not feel too confined. Princess R is more difficult to entertain. She always manages to shimmy out of the buckles and stands, turns around, tries climbing out, of the cart. She is going to be a little escape artist! So having something for Princess R to hold is essential for my sanity, and her safety! 
 
For car rides, I always let the Princess' bring a toy from home. They know they can bring it in the car, but when we get to our destination the toy must stay in the car. This helps keep special toys from getting lost, because trust me, they will get lost when brought into a store!
 
Future topics - Do you use charts with your toddlers? Reward system? How's it working out?

3 comments:

  1. I have seen people make books with pictures of people the kids know, shapes, colors, letters, whatever the kids are learning for church. Not quite as fancy as the quiet books I have heard about. Usually more like scrapbook pages in plastic sleeve protectors. It has worked well for them--so it may work for you?

    Shanan
    http://yogi-mommy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are some great ideas :) I definitely do the "toy hold" in the stores, too. It works, so why not?

    I love the topic suggestion, too. I've been contemplating it...but I dunno if it would work out or not.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great ideas!!

    I know a lot of people that have their toddlers walk by the cart, I need to try that!

    ReplyDelete